Creative (and fun) date ideas
By Emily Raush
Tired of the typical “dinner and a movie” type dates and wish you had creative, unique ideas? Here’s a list of 26 dates (one for every other week of the year) that will make great memories!
1. This “signature” date is not what you’d normally think of. Who says you have to live in Hollywood to have a t-shirt full of signatures? Have all of you and your guy’s friends sign your very own t-shirt so that in 20 years from now you can look back and reminisce about the “good old days!”
2. Enjoy a fast-food restaurant regressive-progressive dinner. Start with dessert at one place, then drive to another restaurant and order just fries, next have just a sandwich, and if you’re still hungry after that, go for a salad!
3. Rainy day? Make a pop-up book about the story of your relationship. Be sure to include how he asked you out, your favorite memories, and any inside jokes you have together.
4. Believe it or not, you’re not too old for a dance party! Search YouTube for “how to’s” on different styles like salsa or swing and have fun laughing at each other’s craziest moves.
5. All you need for this date is a quarter and a car with gas. It’s called the head-tails driving adventure. Start driving and, when you get to the first intersection, flip the coin. If it lands on heads, turn right. If it lands on tails, turn left. Continue doing this for each intersection and see where you end up! Okay, maybe you should bring a map too, in case you get lost.
6. Go ice skating. Even if you’re terrible, it gives you a good excuse to hold hands!
7. In the mood for something more athletic? Take iPods and run to a nearby store, where you can sit and talk for awhile before heading back. If you get tired, remember, working out will make both you and your guy look better for the upcoming swimsuit season!
8. Go on a Dollar Store raid and each of you commit to spending $5 on the other. Talk beforehand about whether to buy stuff you’ll actually like or something for a good laugh.
9. Don’t want to spend any money? Take a trip to your local zoo! There will be more than enough adventures for the two of you to enjoy there.
10. If that’s not adventurous enough for you, try “letterboxing.” There are boxes hidden by people around the country with clues to find them. Google it for the official website!
11. Buy an inexpensive tie-dying kit at a local craft store and tie-dye shirts to wear together.
12. Make “the list” of your future date ideas (feel free to include these)! If you want to get more creative, you could even make a mini-scrapbook with pictures of these ideas. As you complete each date, make sure to check it off of your list. Keep adding more ideas!
13. Make a list of your life goals! Research what you want on your “bucket list” and then hang it in your room to remind yourself and encourage each other to fulfill those dreams.
14. Go hiking. Be sure to bring along a picnic lunch of you and your date’s favorite foods.
15. Have a karaoke night competition to see which one of you is the worst singer.
16. If you really don’t want to humiliate yourself singing, you could always have a song guessing competition. Put your iPod on shuffle, and the first to shout out the title wins!
17. Set aside a day to choose each other’s outfit and give suggestions on how to do their hair.
18. Go on a hunt to find random objects that are shaped like letters of the alphabet. Take pictures of these things and then edit them into collages that spell out your names!
19. Love pictures? Have an exclusive photoshoot! For pose ideas, look on store websites.
20. Invite your friends to join you in a scavenger hunt around your town. Each couple can be in their own car and have a list of clues they have to complete. Some of these activities can include getting a brochure from a certain store or taking a picture of a landmark.
21. Walk somewhere together. The catch is, though, you can only turn left. Right is not right. Crazy? Yes, but you’ll be sure to laugh!
22. Play mini golf blindfolded. Have your guy help you line the golf club up and tell you in which direction to hit it.
23. Make jello. But don’t eat it right away. Have a jello fight first!
24. Videotape yourselves starring in your very own music video.
25. If your guy wants to do something more “manly,” go paint balling! If you don’t like the idea of getting pelted with paint, tennis or ping pong are other fun (and cheap!) options.
26. Add a spin on making dinner together by taking a cookbook and flipping to a random page. Decide that whatever you turn to, you’re going to cook, whether you like it or not!
Hopefully these tips will keep you occupied for awhile! Feel free to post a comment if you have any creative ideas of your own or want to share your thoughts about these ideas. Enjoy them!